1st June 2022 – The end of support for SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 is rapidly approaching:
- Extended Support for SQL Server 2012 ends 12th July 2022.
- Extended Support for Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 ends 10th October 2023.
End of support means the end of security updates, which may leave your business exposed to security risks and compliance concerns. For many businesses, it also presents an opportunity to modernise applications and infrastructure.
What are your options for the 2012 End of Support?
Microsoft provides these options to help you upgrade and adopt the innovative technologies you need to carry your organisation into the future. If you need additional time to manage the transition, you can get three years of Extended Security Updates (ESU) to keep your workloads protected beyond the deadline.
Option 1: Migrate to Azure with free security updates.
Rehost SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 workloads on Microsoft Azure.
- Get three years of FREE extended security updates in Azure.
- Save with existing licenses and Azure Hybrid Benefit - you'll pay less with Azure than AWS.
- Upgrade in Azure when ready, and take advantage of Azure services for even more innovation.
Option 2: Upgrade on-premises and stay protected.
Upgrade to current versions of Windows Server and SQL Server.
- Upgrade to get the current security, performance, and innovation features.
- Can't upgrade in time? For continued protection beyond the deadline, buy up to three years of Extended Security Updates, and - cover only the servers you need.
2008 Extended Security Updates, only in Azure
SQL Server and Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 Extended Security Updates (ESUs) are coming to an end on 12th July 2022, and 10th January 2023 respectively. Many customers are taking advantage of Azure's commitment to security and compliance and have moved to Azure to protect their 2008/2008 R2 workloads with free ESU.
For those customers who need some more time to upgrade and modernise their SQL Server and Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 on Azure, Microsoft now provides one additional year of extended security updates only on Azure. With this, customers will have until 9th July 2023 and 10th January 2024 to upgrade their SQL Server and Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 respectively to a supported release.
- Assess your options to migrate or upgrade your workloads. Professional Advantage provides commitment-free 1-day readiness assessment if you need assistance planning your successful transition.
- Please book your appointment for a readiness assessment here or contact us at 1800 124 499 if you have further questions.